May 11, 2019

Pfaff 1473 (Late 1980s)

After several years of happy use with my 1471 I really wanted the upgrade to the 1473 or 1475
Don't know the diff between those two but the diff between the 71 and 73 is mostly styling and a large increase in decor stitches.

The 1471 is an excellent machine, I use it exclusively for lightweight leather; from 1mm - 1.5mm.
The 1473 will do the same job for me if all goes well.

My career long devotion to Human Factors is also in play; all of the flat buttons have been replaced from the 71 with nice proud of surface buttons. These are esier to see and feel. The color choice is also more inviting.

On initial trials the needle threader needs adjustment and it needed new AA batts

It runs smooth and quiet. I think I am totally sold on IDT and won't consider anything without it.


Made in "West Germany" is one of the vintage aspects of this machine that seems to intrigue people; not sure if all 73s were pre 1990 but I think the 7000 series machines are all "German." Now that I look at them the 7000s have many details from the 1400s.




It is a pretty machine and does every thing one could ask.

So now the "Stable" looks like this:
1473 for heavy work, Designer I for light duty work, and the Cricut Maker for labels and patterns! All stored away in the cabinet above one of my work stations.

Returning to my Automotive references the curvaceous lines of the 60s made way for the hard edged styling of the 80s.
I the classic American "Boat" mode the Continental has it all!




9 comments:

  1. I have a 1913 singer industrial 21 w 180 I have tried everything but I still have Bunches of thread on the bottom side and perfect looking knots on the top. What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such an informative article. It is very helpful for those people who are using swing machine. Keep giving me updates.


    machinery and equipment appraisal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom I stumbled upon your blog while searching for an Embroidery Design Dial thing for my new to me Pfaff 360. What I'm really needing to know is what do I need to set all the dials at for a good I'm straight stitch. I don't want to send a bunch of money just to find there isn't a setting on the disk for a straight stitch. Any thing you can help me with is much appreciated.
    Jeri Oldtisme@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was supposed to say "a good ol'straight stitch", darn spell check.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see your Designer I....Lucky man. I had one, and sold her out of guilt. I caught the vintage machine bug big time, and felt compelled to recoup some of the cash. I regret it. It was a wonderful machine as well, never giving me a day of trouble. I still adore my 26 vintage machines, but I wish I would have kept her. Thanks for this wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like an easy-to-learn Pfaff. I LOVED the Necchi on one of your previous blogs, she's an elegant and functional old lady. And she will outlive the Pfaff for generations to come. I love both new and vintage machines - and I own several of both. I love the utility and dependability of the vintage models (plus some of them are really neat-looking) and the "bells & whistles" on the modern ones. I use most of them and it's like having the best of both worlds.
    By the way, I love the old '60's cars too - I was a teenager in the early 60's - and we used to call them "Land Yachts" because of the soft struts that made you feel like you were floating. Ah - memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I purchased my 1473 the first year it came out about 39 years ago. I keep it serviced and take great care of it. It sews as well today as it did the day I purchased it. I have sewn everything from heavy duty it’s fine silk. I love my 1473.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I have my baby, also a 1473 and its serial # is strange. It should include the date it was made but it's just 00000015. Just out of curiosity is yours strange like mine?

      Delete
  8. I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious... lhd loader

    ReplyDelete