July 5, 2017

Pfaff 1471 Creative (1983)

Finally got a 1471, after being so impressed with the 1069 I wanted to add the IDT to see what all the hype was about. I am really in love with needle position and so I'm researching all the 80's machines where this function.

Its a super cool machine with the electronics arranged for easy use.

Its got:
IDT
Needle position.
More stitches
Complete electronic controls
Electronic reverse
And that vintage Hewlet Packard LED red read out!

These early electronic machines have a  tendency to switch back to a default numbers when you go from one stitch to another instead of remembering what your last setting was, like the SensorSew.
If you were straight stitch at 3.5 length (default 2.5,) go to  ZZ at 4 width and 1 length (default 3.5 - 1.5,) then back to SS you have to reset you length, if you go back to ZZ you have to reset those again too.
Weird thing about the reverse; it makes one more stitch in the original direction before executing the other direction

Anyhow, these are nice machines, they seam to have a punching power that is very refined; the motor noise doesn't change regardless of what its going thru.

The IDT is a good addition, I need more experience with it to give a real opinion.

I do a lot of medium weight leather and this guy walks right thru it; rotary hook can't be beat.


The reverse and slow stitch are at the stitch are at head and now that I've got used to the transverse presser foot lift lever I like it better than the rear mount version; although you can't use it with your left hand that is worth the trade.
The electronic bobbin empty sensor is really nice, with the blinking red light you may have a foot or so left in the bobbin so you can begin to plan your exit strategy

During my early stitching work out with this guy (it is German) small bits of plastic were falling around the machine, it kept happening for a while so I opened up the top cover and determined that the IDT cam follower rubber wheel was designating.
It is a bearing with a rubber tire on it, I need to find this part!

03.18.18
Started using the 1471 for sewing thin leather (2mm-ish)
The IDT is absolute for this work, often with a standard flatbed the leather is very difficult to move with just the feed dogs, the IDT is very reliable.



13 comments:

  1. I just bought one of these machines. It's in almost mint condition cosmetically but i haven't tried to use it yet. I expect to go through it first and find a few things in need of maintenance.
    I enjoyed reading your post.
    I feel that the leaning curre for programming this machine may be steep but I'm pretty green when it comes to sewing and yet in my zeal i have acquired 5 vintage machines... 2 Singers, one BelAire, a Kenmore and this Pfaff. I cannot wait to get a real sewing room set up and take a class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would anyone know where I could get a control or display board for my 1471.?thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm picking up a Pfaff Creative 1471 on Saturday - in mint condition, with table and all accessories, for $225. I can hardly wait - my first dual-feed machine. I also have an old Pfaff 360 in cabinet that I love, but couldn't resist this 1471 estate sale piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does the 1471 Creative come with a walking foot already on it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my mom gifted her pfaff 1471 to me. Im trying to stitch straps some with velvet some leather no thicker than 2 mm. The machine keeps skipping stitches or simply doesn't stitch. Also the black plastic pieces are falling in mine to. Could give me some tips? I was about to buy a new machine but came across your post. Thanks for any feedback you can give me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What black plastic bits?
      And the right needle is needed for the type of fabric being stitched.
      Check that the machine is threaded right.

      Delete
  6. I love this machine but the back stitch loops. I have tried adjusting the tension, changed the needle, rewound the bobbin, change thread but it still loops. I have taken it for service and they fix it on top tension 4 and still no luck. Live in West LA.
    Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just fixed my phaff that had this problem. Just brought it.
      Cotton was stuck in the tension grip. Wind the tension to 0 and using a length wool run it through the tension wheel and clear.
      Worth a shot.

      Delete
  7. I’ve just bought one too and it looped at the back. Something at the back of my brain surfaced(!) and I pulled the thread more firmly down through the tension plates as I threaded. It now works perfectly! Try that and see. I’m thrilled with my purchase and have just ordered a few feet for patchwork and quilting. It will be perfect to take to classes. Clare

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the problem. Where did you find the part? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I have exactly the same problem with the cam follower. Did you find the part or a solution? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am having trouble with the bobbin basket skipping out of the groove and tangling the thread. Tried to have it fixed but no luck. works for a little while and then goes back to doing it again. Any help would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete