March 15, 2017

Singer 101 (1952)

OMG what a wonderful machine, again its the sound, I especially like the rotary hook machines and have recently become interested in the 201.


This picture shows the now bizarre method of castings combined with sheet metal deck.
I got this restoration project from a a friend and although it  is not cosmetically worth saving it is mechanically perfect.

I had to go into the motor after rewiring it and the light.

The motor comes out easy enough and although it ran OK I could tell it had no power.
Like the rest of the machine the Engineering of the motor is second to none; the precision fit of the shaft and the gear is astonishing.


It actually took some time to get it free but now the lube pots are clean and the speed is where is should be.

I am going to use this for my next pair of shoes.


Completed my first upper "closing" with the 101; did just fine.
The lock knob on the fly wheel would not tighten down and so I added an extra washer into the stack, it is a different set-up than all modern vintage machines.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always surprised at how small the hand wheels are on these machines! I was given a free Singer 101. The front of the bed on mine is slightly bent near the bobbin case...which is always a bad sign. I haven't cleaned it up yet but I think it might be ok.

    ReplyDelete