June 19, 2017

Cheap Sewing Machine Rant: what beginner sewers should consider

So it has become clearer to me that the unfortunate new-comer to sewing may get their 1st experience clouded by the "let's get cheap NEW machine" syndrome.

By cheap I mean anything under a $1000, it is shocking how bad some of these new machines are when compared to the Vintage choices.

Your basic $250 machine is so cheap it can hardly sew a shirt, and if it does youv'e worn it out.

My point is that for $50 $100 $150 $250 you can get a Vintage machine that will take you into the journey of sewing in a manner that allows you to focus on the work and not the machine.

Here is a documented reference: My Singer 99-24 came with the original sales receipt for $90, That machine cost Daddy the equivalent of $1010 in 2017 dollars. (I bought it for $12.50, $1.10 in 1947 dollars)

Now don't run out and buy a Craigslist  $20 machine, instead, look for someone who knows someone that has a machine cleaned and tuned and ready for use. It takes me 2 - 6 hours to get one ready to sell and I know a little bit about them.
I guess that means your local repair guy or many of the EBay honest brokers. And again don't go for the cheapest but go for what you think will best suit you and your needs.
Plan a month of searching minimum and catalog the options and style that interest you.

Beginning is better at your Grandmother's level of machine, all those bells and whistles are really appreciated when you have a couple of years and many projects under your belt.

I just love to sell someone their 1st machine, when I get em' cheap I sell em cheap.

Good luck and keep sewing!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment